Saint Charles of the Four Fountains
Architect: Francesco Borromini | Opened in 1646 | Via del Quirinale, 23 (click for google map) | sancarlino.eu | Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Carlo_alle_Quattro_Fontane
San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane is dedicated to Saint Charles Borromeo (one of three churches in Rome dedicated to this saint, canonized in 1610) and it is named for its location at the corner of a four-way intersection where fountains mark each of the four corners. This church is masterpiece of Baroque architecture and ingenuity. The facade and the interior feature a complex series of curves and geometric patterns, and the dome and upper windows flood the church with light. Borromini’s ingenious design made the small church (measuring only 39’x66′) feel airy and spacious.